General Data Entry
Preferences available with General Data Entry
Subledger Data Entry
Selecting Run-time - General Data Entry from the Application Launchpad
will* display the Open Table panel:
* This depends on the setting of Preferences
- Start-up mode (e.g. if it is set to Start with last opened table,
then this panel does not come up). For our example, we selected the Trade
The format of the Subledger data entry window is almost identical
to the Global data entry window with the exception of the Set GL account
button and the content of the Title Bar:
- The Title Bar displays the Name of the Template and the GL
- The view for the Input Template is filled with the selected template
design. Whether or not this view is to be scrollable is defined with the Preferences
- Display option - Scroll options.
- The Data entry option pop-up list offers the following options:
- Add new record
this is the default setting. Enter your data and press the Save button.
- Change existing record
this option will be displayed when loading an existing record from
- Clone current record
if you wish to add a new record which is substantially similar to an
existing record, load the existing record and change the Data entry option from Change
existing record to Clone current record. Make the desired changes
and press the Save button. (The original record will remain unchanged
and a new (cloned) record is added to the Record browser.)
this is a simplified, single field search alternative to the Find panel.
When Search mode is set, entering data into any field in the Template
will trigger a search in the database table for the records with the matching
value. All found matches, if any, will be loaded into the Record Browser,
and the first record in the batch will be loaded into the Template's fields.
The manner in which the Search is carried out depends on the data type
of the field that triggered the Search. For the fields of TEXT type
the search is done on the string pattern matching basis, as in the LIKE comparison
operator. For all other types, the search is done on the exact match basis
in the equality (=) comparison operator. For example: assume you know you have
a record which contains the City value of "Boston" and you want
to load it from the database table: if you type "Bos" or "BOS" into
the City field it will load the record which has "Boston" in
the City field;
it will also load the "Boston" record in response to entering "%ton" (or
any other City which ends with ton).
- The Set GL account button is shown when the
same Template is used for different Control accounts (in our example we have
three Prefix/GL combinations
using the AR Template). In these situations, not only is the Input format
the same but the data records are stored in the same database table, but
by Control Account. To add or edit Subledgers (display the Template for a
specific control account):
- press the Set GL account button (this will display the Select controlling
- select any of the Account numbers shown to display the applicable Description;
- when you have identified the desired Control account, press the OK button
or double-click the Control Account.
- The Find button will display the Find panel which allows the
loading of the selected record(s) into the Record Browser of the General
Data Entry window.
- The Bank of buttons displays two buttons: New and Save.
- New = click to reset all fields of the template and switch
entry option to Add new record.
- Save = click when record editing is done, whether New, Change,
or Clone. This will update the database table and list the record
on the Record Browser.
- The Record browser will display each record being entered, or display
all the records that have been retrieved from the database table in response
to a Search or Find operation.
- Table > Record > New = select to reset all fields of the template
and switch the Data entry option to Add new record. This is the
same as clicking on the New button.
- Table > Record > Save = select when record editing is
done, whether New, Change, or Clone. This will update
the database table and list the record on the Record Browser. This
is the same as pressing the Save button.
- Table > Record > Delete = select to delete the record
selected in the Record Browser.
- Tools > Import = select to display External
File Import panel.
- Tools > Query = select to display Select Query panel.
This panel will list all Reports that have been designated with the Preferences Queries option
as being available for display and/or printing while working with General
- Preferences = select to display the Preferences panel offering
these views: Display
If the selected Control Account is set for Open Item analysis, the Tools > Inspector... menu
item will be enabled. The default Open Item Match field and matching method
(generate matching transaction) is defined with the GL Inspector for each
GL Control Account. A Subledger account-specific override can be defined with
Selecting this Menu item will display the Inspector window, with two data
- the Match field scrollable view displays all possible match fields
(for Open Item application e.g. payments against accounts receivable invoices).
- The Generate matching transactions section has two options:
- "Automatically, sorted by match field" (e.g. if Document Date
is selected, payments are applied against the oldest outstanding invoice)
- "Hand-picked" (e.g. this means manually selecting the invoices
against which payments are to be applied, usually matched up by Document
Number i.e. Invoice Number).
The Inspector will display the Subledger Template Name in its Title Bar. The
name shown below the Title bar is the User name assigned to the subledger field
as part of the Template definition process (the System name is SF_SubledgerNumber).
When a specific subledger account is loaded in the Subledger window, the subledger
number will be appended to the User name. The initial default settings displayed
are an exact match of the Open Item settings in the GL Account Inspector. The
purpose of the Inspector is to enable the setting of exceptions for a given
Subledger (e.g. Accounts Receivable / Customer). Thus the default setting in
the GL Account Inspector could be "Document Reference - Hand-picked" but
the exception setting for a given customer could be "Document Date - Automatically,
sorted by match field."
Table of Contents